replaced old units with new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just replaced my old built in single oven and hob with a fan assisted oven and a ceramic hob (electrolux CM600BLK) the old hob was wired via the oven if that makes sense and the oven back to a big red switch on the wall. Is it ok to do the same with the new units?

They have a seperate fuse in fuse box. Also i have just realised that a couple of plug sockets and some lights are on the same circuit. Soes this sound normal?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
Cookers need to be on their own dedicated circuit.
Do you know what load it is in kWs?
This will then help to decide what size cable you'll need.

The hob is 6kw and the cooker is a single oven AEG i dont have the instruction manual.

I realise im going to have to get it sorted but is it ok to have the hob running off the cooker like a pass through?

getting concerned about the state of the wiring in my house!

mark

Sorry to butt in on your question Markymark but I have a similar query so maybe some kowledgeable reader could kill two birds with one stone.

I have just bought a ceramic hob which is rated at 6.6kW (it is to replace a gas hob). We have an existing oven/grill rated at 2.8kw. The house is new. Behind the oven is a spur from the cooker socket to which the oven is connected and also a 13amp fused spur (which supplies the ignition to the gas hob at the moment). From what I read here the oven could be run from the 13amp spur and I could then use the cooker spur for the hob. If that all checks out then that's fine but what I don't understand is why, if the oven can be run from a 13amp supply, does it have such a heavy cable? Is it because these hobs and ovens can be wired in 'series' so to speak with a link cable from the oven to the hob as Markymark describes in his old set up?
Mark

Sponsored Links
MARK POLLITT said:
Is it because these hobs and ovens can be wired in 'series' so to speak with a link cable from the oven to the hob as Markymark describes in his old set up?
Mark

You have put it better than me, (In series). Mega thick wire to oven, reasonably thick wire from oven to hob. Now afraid to even turn it on!

It seems to be the most logical explanation for the heavy cable to an appliance that draws no more current than a fan heater but some qualified opinion would be good before I go and 'logically' fry myself!
Mark

The key aspect in terms of safety is the capacity of the cable from the CU to the "big red switch on the wall" which should be capable of handling in the region of 40A ... 6mm2 or higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back