2 gang switch to a dimmer with a difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two gang switch in a bedroom, one gang goes to the ceiling rose the other to a walk in cupboard light which is operated by a pull cord and will only work if switched on at the two gang switch. I have recently installed down lights and want to put a dimmer switch on so my question is, because I want to keep the cupboard light and it is switched in the cupboard is there a way at the back of the 2 gang that I can connect up so as to remove the cupboard light from the 2 gang thus allowing me to connect the dimmer??

Sponsored Links
Just find the permanent live feed (should be a red or brown wire, probably linked across to the other gang of the switch using a short piece of identical wire) and connect the feed to the cupboard lights into one of these terminals.

Identify the two conductors controlling the power to the cupboard light. Remove them from the switch and connect them together in an insulated terminal block. Check to make sure the cupboard light still works in the same way as before. Then replace the switch with a dimmer, connecting to the two remaining conductors.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
Identify the two conductors controlling the power to the cupboard light. Remove them from the switch and connect them together in an insulated terminal block. Check to make sure the cupboard light still works in the same way as before. Then replace the switch with a dimmer, connecting to the two remaining conductors.

Ah, good point - the answer to this one depends on the existing wiring configuration. Any chance of a picture of the wiring behind the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back