Above the door Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks new to both this site and my home. The problem i have is that above my door frame ( or part of it) is extended to the ceiling. It looks like it used to house panels of glass. Unlike traditional ones though these ones cover the whole area aboe the door to the ceiling. How easy are these to replace and has anyone got any advice or tipes on the best technique. I have photos available if i have been unclear. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
go to a glazing shop with your measurements pick out what you want, buy beading to hold it in place, use pannel pin on beading whole job sounds easy, can't see your prob ;)

Billy i am wanting to replace the whole unit rather than get new glass for it. I cant just box it in as it sit slightly in front of the rest of the wall. What it means is if i take the unit out i will have a hole from the top of the door to the ceiling. I need to know how it would be best to fill that hole in to complete the wall.

Ok just done a bit of research and i believe i am needing to replace the "door header" as mine is currently an exposed one which goes from the top of the door to the ceiling. Im wanting to replace it with a hidden which can then be plastered over. Unfotunalty i have about 7 doors like this throughout the house. Is this a DIY job or does it require planning permission?

Sponsored Links
doubt if you need planing, why not get a few quotes they are free, before you see if its worth d.i.y, if you go with d.i.y.you could put wooden lintels in and box that to top of doorway with plasterboard then buy doors and frames complet from a joiner's shop,fix to old brickwork fill gaps with form , just plain off to fit if it catch's floor. hope this helps ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back