Security light connected to mains socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new security light to fit at the back of the house that I want to wire through to a plug socket in the garage.

The light has earth, neutral and two live connections. I assume one of the lives is a switch from the PIR.

Can I and if so how do I connect this to a three core cable from a normal mains plug socket?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The switched live from the PIR will go into the terminal block and exit via another wire to the lamp holder. You only want to wire into the live, neutral and earth connections and these should be marked onto the terminal block. There is no need to touch the switched live.

Don't forget to fit a 3A fuse!

Thanks for that.

Problem is that the there are two wires (white) leaving L1 on the terminal block that have no feed to them. A white wire also feeds back into the negative on the unit side of the terminal block.

If the earth, neg and live are wired to the block as suggested and plugged in this trips the box.

I have no idea what will make this light work.

Please help.

[/img]

If this is a new light, surely it came with fitting instructions?

If not, you should be able to find them on the makers web-site

Failing that - you'll need to give us a photo

Sponsored Links
What box does it trip? :confused:

And if it has been wired incorrectly you may have knackered the PIR.

You NEED the manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back