Adding an additional Circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone tell me if there is room on my consumer unit for an extra Circuit breaker? I intend to be adding a double oven, which requires an electrical circuit of at least 30amp, which must be isolated by means of a double pole switch.

There does seem to be a spare slot in this pic?
DSC00236.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have you got a split-load board? Ovens are normally on the non-RCD side of things as they can have quite a high earth leakage during normal use. Take a full picture of the board.
What size cable are you planning on using for your oven?
Have you planned for a DP isolator (at least 45A)?

Please can you take another photograph from a little bit further back to show the whole CU?

Here is the right hand side (main board)

DSC00239.jpg

The Left

DSC00240.jpg

And Together
DSC00238.jpg

Not the best quality pics (taken by phone) sorry.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you have two non-rcd ways and one rcd protected way.

Use one of the slots in the middle.

DISCLAIMER:
Are you aware that as you are adding a new circuit, you are legally obliged to notify your local building control of this work and pay their fee for inspection and testing? This has been the law since Jan 2005. It may be cheaper to hire an electrician, who can self certify.

Notice that the B16 on the Non-Rcd side for the water heater is not immediately adjacent to the main switch - usually the breakers are in descending order from the main switch, largest breaker nearest the incomer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back