Sandstone flags for porch - how to lay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, more building related than tiling.

I'm having my fornt porch (exposed to weather) floor tiles removed and sandstone flags laid in their place.

After removing the existing tiles, my porch is 900mm deep (concrete base).

I've selected some sandstone flags I like from Travis Perkins and the larges size they come in is 900 x 600 x 30 mm. Ideal so I thought.

The builder has come back saying these cannot be used because the vertical lip of the porch base which will be sandstone clad must be covered by the horizontal flags above. So the flags need to be 930mm minimum.

He has sugested that I use smaller flags that are more easily arranged.

Thing is I like the look of large flags and very few builders merchants seem to do anything larger than 900mm (for some reason).

Does the horizontal flag have to cover the vertical flag below on the edge?

1) I could go to a larger size flag and get him to cut it down (if I could find someone who stocks them).

Or

2) Get him to cut the flag down to 800mm and then make a 130 off-cut all the way along. This way I keep the look of large flags.

What do other builders do in this situation?
Any tips on stone to avoid like slate? I've found someone that does a 1.2m slate flag, but it's a bit dark for a porch.

I think the builder is complaining becuase making a 30mm offcut on a flag is difficult without breaking the cutoff (correct me if wrong). If this is the case, what's the smallest size I can ask him to make the off-cut before the job becomes too hard?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the horizontal flag have to cover the vertical flag below on the edge?
yes

What do other builders do in this situation?
use smaller flags that are more easily arranged.

I think the builder is complaining because making a 30mm offcut on a flag is difficult without breaking the cutoff (correct me if wrong).
he knows a 30mm off cut will look awful

sounds like the builder knows what he's talking about
his way you'll have somthing pleasing to the eye and not a hmmmm could of been better job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back