broken locks on all sliding pva windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 3 sliding pva windows - their "locks" are sliding up/down catches in the frame. The catches move up and down up do not lock the windows at all - can this be repaired? If not what can be done to secure the windows? Want advice as to what can be done. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure what you mean by sliding pva windows?
PVC?

If they were vertical sliders the locks are fairly simple.

If yo mean tilt and turn windows they can be very complicated and you will most likely have to get someone in to look at them. But sash jammers could be used as a temporary way to secure.

Or do you mean sliding patio doors? In which case we may be able to talk you through a repair if you post some pics. A temporary way to secure could be done with these http://www.euro-secure.com/PatioDoorLock.asp?gclid=CPTpwL_l98QCFQjKtAodFigAiA

Sorry - meant PVC!. The windows slide horizontally, the left side over the right and the right side behind the left. So the Max. they can be opened is half the window space. The interior catch is intact and works but the part where it is supposed to catch onto has dropped down to bottom off window and I cannot see how to re place it in correct spot. Thanks for your reply.

Im not sure what you mean by sliding pva windows?
PVC?

If they were vertical sliders the locks are fairly simple.

If yo mean tilt and turn windows they can be very complicated and you will most likely have to get someone in to look at them. But sash jammers could be used as a temporary way to secure.

Or do you mean sliding patio doors? In which case we may be able to talk you through a repair if you post some pics. A temporary way to secure could be done with these http://www.euro-secure.com/PatioDoorLock.asp?gclid=CPTpwL_l98QCFQjKtAodFigAiA[/QUOTE]

Hi again Gazman - the item on the euro-secure.com site would probably work. I see it says "euro"-secure! - I am actually in France so might be able to find something like that here. I have also used something like that also on a door where key was lost (in UK). Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
I have just been out to buy the frame mounted locks similar to the "euro secure" ones but on studying the instructions - it says a hole must be drilled into the "aluminium" for the bolt to secure the window - no mention of PVC. My windows are PVC - can these be drilled into to make the hole needed for the bolt? They will need drilling also to take 2 screws. Don't like to start drilling if this is a not right for PVC frames. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back