New Window in Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone

As part of my renovations, I am looking to install a window on the 2nd floor at back of the house (probably static - 1.5m high x 800mm - 1m width). It's where an old immersion boiler used to sit, and I want to open that up to get light in the upstairs hallway.

I think I have cavity walling.

A couple of questions-

Do I need to inform the council I am looking to do this?
Am I able to do this, or are there regulations that I need to employ a qualified tradesman?
Any gotchas I should think about?

Thankyou in advance[/list]

Sponsored Links
As its a new opening you need Building Control Approval, whilst a window fitter can sign off the window and its fitting they cannot sign off the new opening. So you would wither get a builder to do the whole lot (assuming he's competent at fitting windows) & get Building Control Approval for the the whole lot or get a builder to do the opening and then a window fitter to fit the window.

If you employ a Fensa window fitter he will not be able to provide you with Building Control approval for the new opening.

Hi Freddy

Apologies for a late reply, I've been knocking walls down and looking at glazing companies. I can't understand how they can be so excited about their products.

After speaking to a few glazing people, they've said it doesn't need BC approval, as it's a new opening in a wall(?) I don't think that sounds right? Would sooner trust your opinion

Sponsored Links
As said building control sign off is needed but you may also need to speak to planning too

If you employ a Fensa window fitter he will not be able to provide you with Building Control approval for the new opening.[/quote said:
Why not Frederick??

These types of jobs we put through LABC, they sign off everything, building work and window. Pictures are taken throughout each stage of the job

Guys

This is all quite interesting, I didn't realise it is quite involved for a smallish static window

I guess the question I need to ask is whether the installation company is a builder installing glazing, or whether it's a glazing company who just installs.

One person gave a quote of £1k to install a 1m x 2m plain pvc unit

Ideally you want a builder to create the opening and then hope he's competent to install the window
Or
a window company who are hopefully competent on the building element and then fit the window.
Regardless of who you use it will require to go through building control. (£150-£200)
As long as you get someone in that complies on both the building and window side all will be good, effectively you could get your local butcher to do it!! Do your homework, no good having shoddy brickwork and a nicely installed window, and vice versa.

I feel it's easier to go back to mud huts... Least you could get things done then :)

To arm myself with the right questions for another company coming round, what's the usual process? Do BC come round to look, or is it just a form checklist?

Ours come round after completion, literally there 1min, put a meter on the glass and off they go. Depends on the building inspector, we take photos of each stage incase there are any issues, some delve into everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back