UPVC Door Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for a speedy response if possible...

My front door handle on the outside has stopped working. The inside handle opens the door if you push it down, the outside handle used to also open the door if you pushed it down. However one of my kids slammed the door, now you can only open the door from the outside using the key.

I've taken off the handles to see of the connecting rod between the handles had come out, but couldn't really see anything out of place.

Help! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the "split spindle" has been knocked out of place.
Refit it testing as you put each handle on.

I wasn't too sure about removing the assembly as I've never done it before and I wasn't sure if I might knock some of the levers out of position and make things worse.

I'm good at fiddly things and generally a good alround DIY'er (Having just build my own extension), so do you think I could strip it down and get it back together ok? Suppose if worst comes to the worst I could alwayd replace the whole locking mechanism.

So split spindle, what am I looking for exactly?

Well its the spindle thru the handles, just dissamble and reassemble.

Sponsored Links
Just remove the handles, I have come a cross a few times with splindle being too short!

Hi all,

I should point out that the handle on the outside works to lock the door, i.e. when you pull it up to lock the door, it just doesn't work when you push it down.

Am I looking at an internal mechanism / gearbox problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back