Any idea how to pull this fireplace apart??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im ripping out my existing fireplace but don't want to damage the wooden surround since its in good nick. I have posted a pic to show the surround.

Looking around the edge by putting a palette knife behind and easing back a bit I can see that there are some screws holding it to the wall which are roughly on the centreline of each side post a few inches from the top. This suggests that the rectangular panels at the top and bottom of each post slide down/up somehow to reveal the fixing screws.

Does anyone have any tips on how to take such a fire surround apart without breaking it up?

Much appreciated.
Jon

Sponsored Links
The mantle piece may be on sliding dovetails.
So it might slide forward.
Then might be small metal angle cleats and then may lift up off French cleats.

Normally just dig out plaster above the screw in the fixings you mention , remove screws and that's usually all that holds it against the wall.The timber surround may be one piece.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments.

I got it out eventually. It was fixed with some small metal sliding brackets so the surround was supposed to be lifted up to remove. They refused to slide though so it was a brute force job.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back