Architrave Preventing Door Openly - Hinge available?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I renewed the architrave around my internal door. Due to the plaster being out further than the door lining, I had to attach 6mm stripwood to the door frame and then the architrave on top.

When I open the door due to the extra 6mm, obviously the door won't open as far as it would before.

Is there a hinge available that could allow the door to "come away from the frame", so it could open a bit more?

Sponsored Links
google extra or wide throw hinges
and for greater throw parliament hinges

greater the throw greater extra clearance required

Actually neither of these hinges will work as door hinges properly (sorry al) Parliament hinges are face fixed, decorative hinges, which are sunk into said face and the pinions offset so that it provides a smooth face in line with counter tops. Wide throw would cause problems at the lock stile as it would push the door into the frame, unless excessive clearance is made.
Post picks and perhaps a fix could be suggested...pinenot :)

When you attached the 6mm strip you should have left it further away from the edge of the frame and then put the Architrave onto the strip as if it was the edge of the frame. By the time its painted its not really that noticeable

Sponsored Links
If you simply added 6mm to frame you need to simply move the hinge the 6mm too[or a hinge 6mm wider than existing].
Also move the door stop all round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back