Batten size for mounting desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to build a desk using a karlby worktop.

My plan is to buikd the desk around a billy bookcase, basically I will be cutting the size of the bookcase out of the worktop at the left back corner.

My plan is to mount it to the wall by resting it on a batten along the back wall (~1meter) and a batten (~30cm) on the wall to the left hand side. I.e the side that will have the cut out section. On the right hand side at the front of the desk it will be supported by a chrome leg and will also support it at the corner of the cutout section.

My question is what size battens should I use, I have timber either 18mmx44mm or 34mmx44mm.

The wall i will be connecting the battens to is an internal stud wall, I will either screw in to the studs if they are in the right places, and if not I will use hollow wall rawlplugs/spring clips.

My plan is to use 34mm battens but slightly concerned if 5x75mm screws will be large enough, I could use 5x100mm (would need to go buy) but this maybe overkill. Would counter sinking the 75 screws be an idea.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I would use 34x44 battens as you will want to fix the worktop to the batten from underneath and 18mm would probably split. Fix to the studs, you should be able to get at least 2 over the 1 metre length. 75mm screws would go through 34mm batten, plus say 3mm skim, 12mm plasterboard, leaving you 26mm into the stud which should be fine.

i personally would use 2x1"[18-21x44mm]but would drill and countersink into the batons
buuuuuttt
i have the extension bars and angle bits to allow me to drive screws parallel to the wall 10mm away

the average drill driver needs around 25mm to drive a parallel screw
so in this instance i would go for 44x44 or 44x34 and drill pilot hole about 10mm clear off the front edge and angled back at around 5 degrees to allow the drill driver room to work and the screw enough meat not to break out the back edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back