Best finish on this window sill? What you reckon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plan was to just paint the window sill white, be it gloss or satin (probably satin). The majority of the windowsills in the house are a browny/reddy colour.

I took to sanding it & it went patchy, so i took the heat gun to it.

It started off like so...

But when i heat gunned it, it came up like so...

Which i quite like to be honest & made me think twice about painting white.

So what alternatives are open & more importantly - 1) do they require upkeep & 2) what do they provide?

I can think of
wax
stain
varnish
& obviously paint.

I know what paint provides. The other 3 i'm not so sure.

Wax i imagine it'd leave the wood greasy.
Not sure what to expect from staining. A light version of painting?
Varnish i imagine would leave it tacky to the touch?

I don't want something that requires coating every 5 minutes.

What would you recommend? Or would you just leave as is?

Sponsored Links
Wax will certainly not leave the wood greasy and furniture polishing it afterwards would be the only maintenance required, I did this to some antique doors, like yours when the paint was removed (heat gun and or paint stripper, in my case) the patina recovered was nice, I sealed the doors with melted beeswax and buffed them up with a clean shoe polish brush, beautiful and smelt beautiful for by...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
stain only changes the colour, and generally to a darker one.

wax is usually used as a final finish and wont protect the wood from cup rings/water marks etc.

If you want to bring out the natural grain then an oil finish is excellent, and then if you want a shine to it, add wax as a polish.

Danish oil is a setting oil - it goes hard after a few days and leaves the wood silky both in touch and lustre. Add a hard wax polish to get it shiny if you like that sort of thing. Oil may need re-applying every 3-4 years depending on how much wear it gets, but this is just a quick rub down with wire wool and white spirit, then reapply one coat of oil.

Polyurethane varnish is easy to apply - just like paint, but I always find it ages poorly, eventually going yellow and sticky if exposed to much sun.

Kevin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back