Best tool for cutting long lengths of wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a non standard size door lining.

Sadly none of the sheds do timber that matches my needs 68mm x 28mm x 2090.

I've bought some lengths of 28mm x 110mm x 2010, but what will be the best saw to cut the timber length ways? It needs to be as straight as possible so it's level although architrave will hide any imperfections.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Mark the thickness you need on both sides using a marking gauge if you can, but a pencil will do - and use a large handsaw to cut clear of the line.
Finish off with a smoothing plane.
When I mean a large handsaw - over 22" will be fine, either rip or crosscut.
If its a sharp saw you'll be through in no time.
John :)

Mark the thickness you need on both sides using a marking gauge if you can, but a pencil will do - and use a large handsaw to cut clear of the line.
Finish off with a smoothing plane.
When I mean a large handsaw - over 22" will be fine, either rip or crosscut.
If its a sharp saw you'll be through in no time.

Thanks John. A couple of questions if I may.

Cut clear of the line? What exactly does this mean? :oops:

And do hand saws only come in rip or crosscut or am I likey to have something else? :confused:

With a bit of practice you'll be able to cut to within 1 or 2 mm on the waste side of your line, and then finish to the line using your plane.
As for rip or crosscut saw, really anything will do for your job - it depends on how many teeth per inch the saw has.
A crosscut is probably fine for this, and they are really cheap to buy, but not readily sharpened.
Man made materials such as ply and MDF give hand saws a really difficult time due to the adhesive content of the material.
For reference, the rip saw has chisel teeth, and the crosscut has knife teeth.....the chisel profile makes it easier to cut in the direction of the grain. Ripsaws have usually about 5 to 10 teeth per inch of blade.

Sponsored Links
A local joiner might dress them to the correct size, for a small consideration...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back