Can you join a bit onto a wooden worktop to make it deeper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of my very slightly L-shaped worktop needs to be 670mm deep, but 620m worktops are so much cheaper. I wondered if a bit of PVA and some clamps would be enough to make a good invisible join for the last 600mm of the worktop length.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Provided the two mating edges are good then there should not be a problem, a few biscuits would help but not essential if the small return is supported by a cabinet.

For short returns like this its better to do as you are than joining a 70mm bit cut off the end of the run. I assume its in a corner and the L just returns to an appliance like a range and teh 70mm if to allow the door room to swing open.

J

Hi Jason

Thanks, that's spot on.

By "better to do as you are" do you mean better to buy a deeper worktop and cut it back?

Sponsored Links
No better to stick on a strip with the staves running in the same direction like you propose than doing a 70mm return with the grain at right angles to the main worktop.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back