dodgy door frame or door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had some internal doors fitted this week. As with everything in my house, nothing is straight forward.
The one door looks awful when it is shut. I think the frame is warped and not square. I was just wondering if anyone has any solutions that a very novice DIYer might attempt.
I've included some pictures. All the photos are when the door is closed, just to emphasise how far out it is.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say as no pic shows the entire door or hinge side, but look just badly fitted, could have been trimmed to fit closer to top assuming there was enough door [bottom needed trimming?]

Its probably best to see which is actually out - the door or the frame.
However, you can add closing beads to the frame (when the door is shut) to hide the gap and cast the eye away from the problem.
John :)

thanks for the replies, I'll try and get a full picture up if that would help. The hinge side is reasonably ok.
Sorry for my ignorance but what are closing beads? Are they just wedges of wood? How would be best to cut those if that's what they are? :)

Sponsored Links
Closing beads? Strips of timber with a rounded edge for neatness.....popular size being 30mm x 15mm or whatever is convenient.
With the door closed, the beads are fixed onto the frame with panel pins to hide the gap.
Of course, it only hides things on one side but usually thats enough.
John :)

from looking at the pic with the door shut it doesnt look like it has been shot in properly or at all ?.
if your saying the hinge side is generally ok,then its just a case of moving the latch plate in a bit to close the door tighter to the jamb.
if its a new latch then its fitted wrong.
how much gap is there on the bottom of the door?

There is no gap at the bottom of the door, the gap just becomes wider as you go up, think that's shown on the pictures. That's why I asked if the previous poster was talking about wedges because a single thickness of wood wouldn't solve the problem. I wasn't just bring thick, honest. Moving the latch wouldn't work either as its as if the frame is warped.

Put up a few funny mirrors and you can charge the public £3 a go!

Hi, The overall problem is that the door lining (frame) is not plumb, which is why the door will not close the gap when it is shut, as the lining gets less and less level as it goes up..

However, a good chippy would not hang doors and leave them like that, I've hung hundreds of doors in my career and to combat the problem with the top of the doors pictured, ( the uneven gap at the top ), the door should have been planed at the head to make the gap even to suit the lining ( as the head of the door lining is also not level, which is quite common in oldish houses ).

Long story short: Its quite a pain hanging doors in a lining which is neither level, nor plumb, but the door can still be suited to the lining in such a way so that the discrepancies are not obvious. The lining on the lock side ideally should have been unscrewed, nocked over at the top and refixed to meet the door, but that does however create more decorating work once completed.

Hope that helps! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back