Finishing for oak skirting / kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-doing the tiling in my kitchen and after 5 years decided to sand and re-oil my oak worktop (Danish oil). It's about time I did all the oak skirting / architrave again too - so this post is about the kitchen worktop and those too.

I've not had any issue with the worktop and it still looks good (looks better where it has been re-sanded / oiled!) , but reading online there is all sorts of advice.

I've seen people recommending osmo products too and talking about Hard Wax Oil of which I have no experience. I also have a few litres of Danish oil.

I wanted the colour of the wood to come through, and ideally have a protective coating (I have kids). I don't think I have a problem with having a sheen on the wood.

The other thing I was thinking was would it be wrong to apply a couple of coats of oil, then apply a coat of polyurethane varnish (worktop and skirting?)

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Osmo top oil is excellent, don't varnish worktop, it will break down and look terrible [and probably leave flakes of varnish in your lunch].

Great osmo top oil it is then!

Any problem using up my existing stock of Danish oil and going over the top with this, or is it better to use it (osmo) by itself? The more I read the more I think I'll have to ditch the danish

(I read the description saying New or previously oiled work tops can be lightly sanded prior to applying the oil with a 120 - 150 grit paper)

And is the top oil ok for skirting too? they seem to have a huge range :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back