Ideas for a drop down locker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kids bedroom. To maximise space, I want to create a row of lockers over the bed, each will be based on size approx 20" square.

Because these need to be positioned quite high for head clearance, I also want them to be accessible for the kids, so am thinking that rather than opening doors on the front, the base drops down so you would basically reveal a three sided box with a shelf in the middle.

However, I'm at a loss on how to do this. I would need it to drop down but would want it to do so slowly rather than bang! So I'm wondering is there is a special gas suspension type guide rail that would do this. Also I obviously need it to hold up, so what would be the best type of catch to use bearing in mind kids have a habit of overloading all cupboards and draws! So the catch would need to be fairly substantial.

What would be the best material to make it out of? I was thinking plywood or MDF, but would MDF be too heavy adding to my problems?

So guys, any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
the simple answer is it wont work as you describe
gaining access from underneath will always loose 1/2 to 3/4 of the total area as you are removing the base from the equasion

That seems an awful lot of space you've lost, can't see why that should be, maybe I haven't explained things very well but is seems to me that a "box" 20" square (for arguments sake) is only going to lose one inch all the way around at the most.

I got my idea for a very expensive kitchen unit I once saw for sale which worked the other way I.e. it popped up, the guides, runners call them what you will, we're in the corners so very little loss of area

There are counterbalance/gas strut wirework mechanisms made for kitchen cabinets which pull out and down, but they loose a large amount of the space in the cupboard. What would be ideal for this sort of job and which is like what you describe would be an Auton lift. This is an electric lift mechanism used to raise or lower items such as TVs, etc in high-end home cinemas, high-end shop fitting, etc. Units like that are also used to produce disability living kitchens where the worktops and wall cabinets can be lowered or raised to suit the occupant. The only problem is that electric units are extremely expensive because they use servo motors and controllers. The cheapest units I've ever come across were more than £100 a set in volume. Gas lift mechanisms (like you have in an office chair) are used in products such as sewing machine centres to raise the machine to operation level, but they require a fair amount of strength to operate if they are carrying any load - I know of a couple of firms who supply them but I doubt they will work "inverted" so to speak and the effort to use them is well beyond kids

Maybe it's time to devise your own system with somethong like drawer slides to guide the motion and a block an pulley affair to raise/lower the boxes?

Sponsored Links
That is interesting. I think the kitchen unit I saw was aimed at people with disabilities as well as limited space.

So inventing my own mechanism seems to be the main option eh? then go on Dragon's Den and market it! I'm amazed that such a device isn't affordably on the market, surely I'm not the first person to think of such a concept

I'm amazed that such a device isn't affordably on the market, surely I'm not the first person to think of such a concept
You may not be. I thought from my post you'd have taken away the fact that problem isn't new and has been addressed in the past. The principle of using counterbalances or geared mechanisms for example is well understood (think funicular raiklways and block and tackle gear). The problem is in coming up with a product which works well, is reliable, affordable and has a sufficiently large market to warrant the costs of development. I just doubt that many people would be willing to pay much extra for such a mechanism

Gotcha.

I have designed something in my head replying on wheels and weights, its now a matter of if I can find the right 'balance' and weight of weight within a small frame structure

I suppose I could buy the kids stilts or a boring old ladder! but that's not half as much fun as making something yourself

I have designed something in my head replying on wheels and weights, its now a matter of if I can find the right 'balance' and weight of weight within a small frame structure
Finding the right "loading" will be interesting - so that the kids can open and close it easily. Too "strong" a spring/counterbalance and they won't be able to pull it down, too "light" and you'll it won't stay up, you'll also have to think about how you secure it in the down position so it can be loaded/unloaded, and finally, because it's for kids, you'll have to ensure that there can be no finger trapping...... Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back