Making a 19mm hole bigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've used a drill to make a 19mm hole in a piece for chipboard (the stuff that is covered). The hole is too small and need to be made to 25mm.

How would you go about doing this seeing as the centre of the hole is now cut out?

Thanks for any help you can give guys

Sponsored Links
use double sided tape attach 6mm or more mdf/ply/wood to the face and start again :D

Glue a piece of dowel into the hole plane flush, then find centre and using a hole cutter start again.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Drill a 25 mm hole in a piece of scrap, and clamp that to the work piece with the new hole centred over the existing hole. Bit dodgy if you're using a spade bit though I'd have thought.

Drill a 25 mm hole in a piece of scrap, and clamp that to the work piece with the new hole centred over the existing hole. Bit dodgy if you're using a spade bit though I'd have thought.
Wrong way round, place timber over a scrap and use that to centre 25mm bit.

use double sided tape attach 6mm or more mdf/ply/wood to the face and start again :D
Would need to be attached to rear as face fixed would allow drill to wander as soon as it penetrates top ply etc.

Would need to be attached to rear as face fixed would allow drill to wander as soon as it penetrates top ply etc.

all depends
a hole saw no probs
a spade bit would be best with 12mm plus board thickness to reduce the chance off "chatter" enlarging or distorting the hole all depends on how accurate the hole needs to be

Wrong way round, place timber over a scrap and use that to centre 25mm bit.

Probably didn't make that very clear. The point is that you use the 25 mm hole as a guide for the 25 mm drill. So you put it over the 19mm hole. As long as the piece with the 25 mm hole is clamped it stops the drill wandering about. You could use it with any type of drill including hole saws, and hinge sinkers. I've done it lots of times. It works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back