New internal door but wrong size to match opening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, need to hang a door at home but the problem i have is my opening is normal height 6'6" (fine) but the width is 28" (2'4") the doors i can get localy are 2'3" or 2'6", What would be the best way of making a door fit? get the larger and cut down and maby add more frame into the door, most would be lost in trimming? or buy the smaller door and add a hard wood strip to each side and plane down as normal? any advise is welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the type of door you are planning to fit. If you are looking to fit a solid pine door for example, then I would get the larger door then take 7/8's off each side with a circular saw before planing to fit. Just make sure you measure the width of the frame at top middle and bottom first!

measured all 3 and im lucky in that its only about 2mm out full legnth top to bottom. The door type would be a plywood flush door from a local timber merchant.

In that case you may find that there is a maximum amount you can plane off each side and you will almost certainly not be able to cut 7/8" off without ruining the door. Therefore, I'd probably glue a 1" thick wood strip to one side of the door and attach that edge to the hinges as it's then less visible.

Sponsored Links
Ill do that then wondered about the frame in flush doors as mosty only seems around inch- inch and half. Didnt think to put the timber on just one side, once painted should all be hidden well enough. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back