Storing timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lots of bits of wood - I can't bear to throw away offcuts ! - and I've also demolished some stud partitions, so I've got quite a lot of 4 x 2 8ft long that I just *know "will come in useful someday". But I also have offcuts down to 1"x1"x12" !

Are you like that, too ?

How / where do you / should I store it ???

Or should I just use it for firewood...

Sponsored Links
Well, THAT's the problem ! It seems to be taking over the garage and the potting shed - oh, and the loft !

select the timber thats in good nick
no twists warps or bends
if you have no plans for the timber throw away use as kindeling burn anything less than 2ft long

Sponsored Links
I store timber etc in rack fixed to garage ceiling to keep it off the floor and dry, best to discard anything under a metre or so and anything not perfect.

Thank you.

But where/how do *you* store it ?

I have some cardboard boxes in which I store short bits; an old dustbin in which I store (vertically) bits more than a cuppla feet long; and I have a cuppla bits of 4 x 2 four foot long hanging six feet apart from the garage roof by chains, on which I store long bits.

But I've also got quite a few long pieces just lying on the garage floor.

And I've got various bits of plywood kicking around, min dim about two foot.

Whenever I need some wood, I never seem to have *just* what I need, and have to go out & buy some - and that provides yet more offcuts !

I'm quite bad for keeping timber and don't like to throw anything away if I can help it.
I built a shed solely for storing timber, it has racking inside and the sides are completely loovered for airflow. Still I ended up with more wood than storage space and I've got some wide oak boarding currently living in the roof space of my workshop, more timber sheeted up and a couple of wheely bins for short odds and sods.
Even when burnt I don't just throw the ash away, I riddle it to remove the fine ash for garden use (and maybe soap if I ever get round to it).

Thank you.

But where/how do *you* store it ?

I have some cardboard boxes in which I store short bits; an old dustbin in which I store (vertically) bits more than a cuppla feet long; and I have a cuppla bits of 4 x 2 four foot long hanging six feet apart from the garage roof by chains, on which I store long bits.

But I've also got quite a few long pieces just lying on the garage floor.

And I've got various bits of plywood kicking around, min dim about two foot.

Whenever I need some wood, I never seem to have *just* what I need, and have to go out & buy some - and that provides yet more offcuts !

Store the timber horizontally in a cool, dry place.....support it ever so often so that it doesn't sag - if you have any warped bits, put the warp curve uppermost.
John :)

if you have no plans for the timber throw away anything less than 2ft long

Reminds me of a programme I saw a few years ago with someone like Dan Cruikskank as the presenter. He was talking about naval yards in Plymouth in the 17th and 18th centuries and said the ruling was anything under 3ft long was classed as scrap and people were free to take it home. Funnily enough he also said that 2' 11 7/8" was a very common window size in that period too :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back