Swapping side hinges are on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am refurbing my bathroom and I want the door to open the other way now.

What's the easiest method to make good the hinge and latch holes on the frame. It will be painted white when good if that makes any difference!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The way I do it is to clean back the hinge rebate making sure all of the edges are clean and square. Let in a piece of appropriately cut wood which is glued and pinned into place and then sanded down. A little bit of filler as there will usually be some very small gaps, and you are good to paint.

The same applies for old screw holes - if you are uncomfortable just bunging in a lump of filler - clean drill the hole out slightly larger to get a nice smooth bore and glue in a plug.

Once filled and painted you would never know it was there.

if it's a symmetrical door, you can sometimes turn it upside down and use the same hinge and latch points.

if it's a symmetrical door, you can sometimes turn it upside down and use the same hinge and latch points.
Upside down the hinge position will be wrong as would the latch position, they are rarely fitted dead centre.
I agree with Nigels advice.

Sponsored Links
The easy way to fill the old hinge rebates, is car body filler, sets quick, rubs down easy & you will not notice it once painted.
I use it to fill all the splits / holes etc have done for years.

The easy way to fill the old hinge rebates, is car body filler, sets quick, rubs down easy & you will not notice it once painted.
I use it to fill all the splits / holes etc have done for years.

That is the quick way of doing it, but the pedant/perfectionist in me prefers my method - plus I am never happy with the finish I get on filler - I just keep on sanding but it never seems properly 'flat'.

Each to his own I guess :)

As an alternative to car body filler, you could use a purpose made product such as Ronseal 2-part wood filler. have used it for years with 100% success and once painted is totally invisible and stable.

As an alternative to car body filler, you could use a purpose made product such as Ronseal 2-part wood filler. have used it for years with 100% success and once painted is totally invisible and stable.
I always found wood fillers to be harder to rub down, I had tried that 30 years ago, maybe it has improved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back