Timber delivered...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so looking to pick a couple of brains please.
I need ~20m of 2"x2" tannelised (Or equivilant, some people have 47mmx47mm etc.) at the moment, and there's no real way I can transport something of this size.

Trying to chase local timber merchants for delivery etc, and the best figure I can come up with at the moment is £30 delivered, sawn from 97mm stock.
Thoughts on this price? Not sure if the 97mm stock is a good or a bad thing either :confused:

My primary trouble in this is that my available transport consists of a bicycle plus trailer :p
I've considered taxis and similar, but I can't really see a taxi being too hapy with his boot wedged open :LOL:

Sponsored Links
use a timber yard that stocks 2"x2" tanalised and will deliver tanalising is compromised when sawn, if you post where you are someone will probably know a yard in your area

I'm in Norwich :)
Getting someone to deliver without paying through the nose for a the priveledge on a small order is the issue.

Tannelising isn't 100% important, this is going in the loft, I'm just trying to cover all my bases if it gets a little damp up there.

Sponsored Links
Cross battens for loft floor boarding? It doesn't matter if you compress your insulation slightly, if that's a worry. If you have rigid insulation going between the battens, then shim underneath with 4mm ply to get the height. 47x47 should work.
30 inc delivery doesn't seem that steep tbh

Cross battens for loft floor boarding? It doesn't matter if you compress your insulation slightly, if that's a worry. If you have rigid insulation going between the battens, then shim underneath with 4mm ply to get the height. 47x47 should work.
30 inc delivery doesn't seem that steep tbh

That, and some stud walls to stop things rolling off the boarded section :)
I'm actually going to be putting a model railway up there in the end of things, so I'm trying to ensure my floor is supported enough!

Insulation will definitely be being compressed in some places, where I've added it, it's the thickest I could buy (250mm I think), but I can't say I'm unduly worried. Ventilation up there is practically nil apart from two vent holes at the eaves, as the eaves themselves are actually solid (Concrete, and someone decided to concrete the chimney flashings), but I've never noticed any condensation in five years in this house.

you will need overcoats in the winter and several fans in the summer unless you have good airflow :D :D

Don't you know anyone with a car? :confused:

Not one I can get timber like this in :p
I've got several mates with Corsas (Haven't a monkeys, especially with what some of them think of their cars), and the parents are just over 400 miles away, so no help there.

Heat isn't really a problem, nice and warm up there at the minute
:LOL:
Cold can be dealt with too, a fan heater should do the job nicely.
When I've finished I plan to add some Celotex to the roof, hopefully that'll help matters.

Cross battens for loft floor boarding? It doesn't matter if you compress your insulation slightly...

If you have 10inches of insulation (recomended) and compress it to 4-6inchs with the floor, it will behave as 4-6inches of insulation at best. Infact over filling a space can even reduce performance.

Might not even be what its for but its totally incorrect to say it doesnt matter if you squash it down, although obviously if your only squashing the top half inch of 10inches worth, that will be negligable.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back