Wood worktop stain removal issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a water stain from a cup.
I tried sanding it, but it remained, done a bit of googling & bleach was suggested & bicarb of soda.
THe ring has now gone but it looks a mess & I have tried to sand again.
If I put the finishing oil on (Liberon), will this mess go away?
or what should I do?

Sponsored Links
The answer is no infact it will bring it out even more,What is the original finish ?,it looks like you need to do a bit more sanding to get the stain out,a random orbit sander would do the job or one of those delta sanders owing to the closeness to the wall either way work through the grades from say60 grit to 120 then refinish

Sponsored Links
Should have tried a hot iron over tissue paper, evaporates the moisture and is absorbed by tissue.

Should have tried a hot iron over tissue paper, evaporates the moisture and is absorbed by tissue.

I did read about that one, but the ring stain was dry, it had been there for about a week.
I have used that method with brown paper to remove grease/oil from fabrics & it worked.

Just checking ,Liberon is a good finish and will take all the heat and water you can throw at it if you get enough coats on ,thats your original problem,

Thanks for that, I am getting a sander 2morrow.
There is a £50 bet with her indoors, 'that it will still look a mess'.

I did read about that one, but the ring stain was dry, it had been there for about a week.
I have used that method with brown paper to remove grease/oil from fabrics & it worked.
Does not matter how long it's been dry, moisture is trapped causing the stain.

I have bought a delta type sander & whilst its creating dust (ie removing the surface) the water stain is sill there, should I try the iron or keep sanding?

Are they just water stains? ,was any bare iron or eny other metal involved in that?,they should sand out I the stains persist it could be colour from food,try white vinegar or lemon juice

Its just water, I have been sanding for a long time, it is sloooowly coming out.
I am only do a local area 2ft x 2ft approx, then the sink so Im hoping it will all blend in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back