Bedroom design - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, so if this is in the wrong section then please feel free to delete/move it to the right section.

Basically, I'm not the best DIYer but with a couple of YouTube tutorials I'm okay, and I'm fixing up a bedroom in a house that I've just bought but, for all the wonderful ideas that I have, there's one tiny detail that's stopping me: the ceiling.

It's a sloped ceiling, but it's not sloped enough to be a feature. Towards the window wall, there's roughly 9-10cm of the ceiling that just curves (i.e. no sharp edges) down at about a 45 degree angle.

I was thinking of bringing the entire height of the ceiling down to cancel out the slope, but then the ceiling would be too short to fit the wardrobe in it. :(

What should I do about it? Can I get rid of it (within reason... i.e. I don't want to purchase dynamite :D )? If so, how? If not, how can I accommodate it or work around it?

The camera on my phone isn't working so I've added a rather crude 10-minute Microsoft Paint illustration of the wall... :oops:

w856iw.png

Thanks in advance,
K

Sponsored Links
Very often the room has a ceiling like that as the rafter spring point is lower than the ceiling so the sloping bit is actually the underside of the rafters. If that's the case you won't be able to do anything about it.

This is usually done to accommodate the end of sloping roof rafters so the chances of being able to remove it aren’t great, you need to establish if there are rafters behind.

Why do you want to get rid of it? TBH even if there are no rafters, it’s going to be more trouble than it’s worth & probably beyond the scope of basic DIY.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling it would be more or less permanent, or too much hassle to get rid of.

Due to the layout of the room, I can only fit the wardrobe in with its side facing the window wall, and the height of the wardrobe means that it would cut into the curved ceiling by 9mm. I was thinking of simply sanding off the edge of the wardrobe and knocking it in with a rubber mallet.. I'd imagine it'll be a snug fit.

Sponsored Links
The most common problem people have with such a detail is when decorating exactly where does the wall end and the ceiling begin. What I would do in this situation is to put up a picture frame moulding and paint the ceiling colour down to this. I'm assuming the house is probably oldish so this detail would fit in.
As to the wardrobe , as the problem is only 9mm, is it not possible to either simply stand the wardrobe off the wall a little , or take the 9mm off the bottom , or even at a push remove any carpet from underneath it?

You could sort of Box it off. Get a chippy in to make a rectangle frame fixed to the wall and rafters/joists. Then clad it in MDF, couple of doors in it and use it for storage. And your wardrobe could probably go in underneath.

How much space have you got between the back of the wall and the window? you could always shelve out under the slope and then front it with made to measure sliding doors, sort of custom built wardrobe like evansbuilders suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back