Huge Fireplace help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i need some help and advice with regards to this fireplace. We've just bought a house that has a massively oversize brick worked tatty fireplace with no actual fire... the gas pipe has been capped off. Sorry some of the pictures have come out upside down/etc.

Its just soo big and ugly.. am I being overly harsh...???? does anyone actually like the idea of something like this in their house???

What would you guys suggest i do with it? get it removed? plaster over it? leave it as is and possibly reduce the size of it somehow??? maybe remove the side mantels?

FWIWI Initially i bought the house to live in for the next 5 years but now i'm thinking i want to sell it within the next 24 months or so as I bought it quite cheaply... so i'm really in two minds as to what to do with this fireplace.

appreciate any help,

Sponsored Links
Get someone to check if there is anything above the fireplace, remove it properly ad then replaster - new carpet etc and you have a bigger room.

However if selling, it may be better to just refit a fire.
The new buyer can remove it if they wish.

Yeah i'm thinking i may just leave it as is now. After a lot of consideration last night...

The problem is i like a modern contemporary feel and this doesn't fit for me personally but I guess i can work around it... its just soo big for a medium-to-large L-shaped living room and restricts the layout of the room.

Instead of getting carpet I think i'll just put down some laminate flooring dark brown to complement the fire place.

How would be best to clean it up and make it look somewhat better?

If you're going to replace the flooring anyay then I'd remove that fire place. Each to their own and people have different tastes but it is quite big and hideous. It would probably make the room seem much bugger as well

Sponsored Links
I thought I was good with swear words but i have no idea what that starred out word is!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Im really thinking about just cleaning it up and leaving it alone to save on the money front, im hoping people would convince me thats the right decision if i am planning to move in next 6-24month but i guess not... it is bloody hideous.

Just out of curiosity do you guys thin the house was built with this feature?

These were quite popular in their day but like everything else fashion and tastes change. They must have taken quite some time to build. We had a similar one in our house but removed it as it took up so much room. I would say if you are going to sell and want to attract buyers then get rid of it.

did you completely remove chimney or just the brickwork? I have noticed alot of these style chimneys on the properties up for sale similar location to mine it is very strange!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back