Brass fittings on plastic pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Further adventures in the fitting of the 70’s avocado suite!

I’m fitting the bidet. There’s not been one before so new hot and cold feeds plus waste.

The waste isn’t a problem and I thought the water would be simple but when I lifted a floorboard to tee off of the hot and cold, the 22mm hot is a plastic pipe.
My question is, can I use the 22x22x15mm brass tee on the plastic pipe or do I need a plastic tee?

Sponsored Links
You can use a compression tee or a push fit correct pipe inserts required with either option.
Picture of said bidet would be useful some require pipework to be done a very specific way.

Does the bidet have taps over the top - with an air gap to the bowl - or does it have an ascending spray, upwards from inside the bidet itself?

The former is ok, the latter should not be attached to mains water.

This is the back of the bidet. I’ve fitted a new trap and I’m using two 15mm/1/2’ flexible connectors…
IMG_2313.jpeg

These are the pipes. The 22mm is plastic and I was planing to tee it off with a 22mm x 22mm x 15mm brass tee. Is that ok if I'm using plastic inserts?
IMG_2314.jpeg

@Madrab - this has taps and an ascending spray. What should I connect it too if it can't be connected to mains?

Sponsored Links
…I just read about contamination of the mains water supply.
It’s a good job I had the question about the plastic pipe or I wouldn’t have known!

So I guess it needs a separate feed from the central heating cold water tank?
What about if I take a feed from the toilet cistern - it’s got a bottom fed overflow that I’ve capped off?

To follow the regs then Yes and no, it needs to be fed from a cistern that has a suitable air gap but also requires and additional safeguard that the toilet cistern won't have, and that's just for cold, never mind a hot supply. Either that or using an elaborate water interrupter which really needs professionally setup or the ascending spray feature is capped off so it can't be used (possibly the least complicated approach)

Usually these types of ascending spray outlet would have used the large cold water cistern in the loft and a hot water cylinder, which would have been what was in place prior to an all mains domestic setup. If that is no longer available then, if the function is required then an elaborate supply setup would be needed.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back