Questions on Loft Conversion Staircase (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New pine staircase for loft have been installed, however, the finishing looks incorrect.

For starters, the Newel post is overhanging the side (refer to encircled green in photo) and has been doubled up with another post (photo attached).

Looking at my architectural drawings, it seems the new staircase should have been wider than my existing staircase below. But it seems the builder & stair surveyor have aligned them to be the same size. I have gone back to my architect to confirm.

My questions are:

1. Is it common for the Newel to be overhanging /showing like this?

2. Can the Newel position be corrected to sit on the landing rather than having a double newel post?

3. Can we request for the stair surveyor to change staircase if indeed it has be miscalculated or installed incorrectly?

We are really unhappy with staircase as it’s NOT what we envisaged.

Thoughts welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5061.jpeg
    IMG_5061.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
general comment
the newel must be central to the string it sits on for the handrail and string cap to give central and vertical spindles

general comment
the newel must be central to the string it sits on for the handrail and string cap to give central and vertical spindles
so the staircase should have been wider as per the drawing. Besides, we were having floor to ceiling square spindles

in your drawing there seems to be red dotted lines suggesting one level outside another
now my thoughts are you wont tend to go bigger as you go up as the narrower below is the pinch point so greater above is pointless so moving to a narrower position above would seem correct but fully a guess ??

Sponsored Links
Red lines are the existing floor plan, you’ll have to see the whole page to give context. Essentially, the drawing stair treads 1-5 is new loft stair case and 8-15 is the existing staircase underneath (first photo)

The bottom photo below shows the full size/length staircase

Attachments

• IMG_5069.png
    IMG_5069.png
    562.7 KB · Views: 12
The drawings that people draw usually contain very generic stair plans that sometimes bear little resemblance to the finished stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back