> >

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Carbon monoxide sometimes makes people feel ill. If you develop any of the following unexplained symptoms:

Switch off your appliances and see your doctor at once.


During an average year about 50 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by fumes from faulty home heating appliances.

More than three times that number end up in hospital. Carbon Monoxide is colourless, odourless and has no taste. It is a killer.

What is it?

Carbon monoxide can be given off by any appliance which burns a fossil fuel such as gas,coal or oil. It can enter your home if your appliance is faulty,or the room is not properly ventilated, or the chimney or flue is blocked.

What are the danger signs?

What to do?

Further Information

National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999.

  1. Solid Fuel - Coal and Wood

    Solid Fuel Association 0800 600 000 (Freephone)

  2. Oil

    Oil Firing Technical Association for the Petroleum Industry (OFTEC) 01737 373311

  3. Gas

    Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500

    Gas Consumers’ Council 0645 060708

Related Pages

Need help or supplies?

Further help required?

Our forum is the perfect place to ask questions and get help. Join us, post your question/comment now!