£55,000 Diesel Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I buy those TDCI Mondeo Estates at auction and run then until I scrap them, which is when hits the 'too expensive to repair' stage. The last one did 175,000 before injector(s) needed expensive work (reprogammed them from 100,000 with no problems). It would have gone a lot further, but the mrs wanted rid. Got decent cash from the scrappy too.

They do become uneconomical to repair when they are so cheap at auction. Otherwise worth repairing. Current one at 105,000 and purring away.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/half-million-mile-mondeo
The Blue Oval has come a long way - 1960`s Populars with sidevalve engines :rolleyes: needed an engine rebuild @ 40k miles :LOL: Mind you they`ve produced some c-rap along the way- Silver fox paint on Mk.2 Cortinas - Sideways Sierras - Probe - :mrgreen: You gotta love `em though .

I brought a '01 Freelander over a couple of years ago as UK used cars are half the price of here. It cost about two and a half grand and has cost about two grand in repairs. Two batteries, fuel pumps, alternator, door handle snapped off, blower stopped working needed replacing, back window stuck down, computer was goosed, electrics are goosed. Id kill for this Mondeo.

wonder if its still going???
as the comments below the article are dated 3 years 19 weeks.

Wonder how many miles the odo is showing on the Mondy, now that it's been through the auction. :idea:

The old Mk1 Mondeos weren't bad cars either. One of my brothers had a 2 litre 1995 petrol for years. Had 180K on clock when he sold it, still on original clutch, clean exhaust and hardly spent any money on it. Unlike the Sierra he had before, the body didn't dissolve in front of his eyes either. Don't know why, but he sold it and the buyer got a couple more years out of it.

This photo came from a High Mileage Mondeo Thread on a Forum somewhere..... :eek:

HighmilesMondeo_zps1534c607.jpg

Don't know how old the car is, though.

There was also a '96 Mondeo taxi that did a million, I think. I'll see if I can look it up.

EDIT:

Here it is: A '96 Estate!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Holmes-clocks-1m-miles-16-year-old-Ford.html

On a Mondeo expect the clutch to disintegrate at 120,000miles, its a dual mass clutch and whichever way you replace it expect no change from£600

And depends how you drive the thing.

When I were a lad if it was raining the car would be rusting through by the time you had driven it home from the showroom. If the body lasted 60k miles the big ends certainly wouldn't. These modern cars and the oils you put in them are marvellous contraptions in comparison.

I reckon the useful life of a well looked after mondeo is around 200k miles, to get more you will need to be replacing expensive parts and cheaper to buy another one.

And depends how you drive the thing.

When I were a lad if it was raining the car would be rusting through by the time you had driven it home from the showroom. If the body lasted 60k miles the big ends certainly wouldn't. These modern cars and the oils you put in them are marvellous contraptions in comparison.

I reckon the useful life of a well looked after mondeo is around 200k miles, to get more you will need to be replacing expensive parts and cheaper to buy another one.

The fuels help a lot too. Who would be bothered with regularly de-coking their engines now?

Ford certainly got it right with rust protection on the early Mondeos. By contrast, the Cortinas could get rusty, but the Sierra was in a league of it's own. It seemed to share the Cortina's poor rustproofing, but the metal was thinner. Once you saw surface rust, it was through in no time. :cry:

It's not all good news with modern cars though. The bodies of older cars may be sound, but once the electrics start going haywire, they get too expensive to fix.

Sponsored Links
Back