£55,000 Diesel Bill

If you're going to do megamiles in a short time, you're in luck. Any modern car will do that for you.

Sponsored Links
And depends how you drive the thing.

When I were a lad if it was raining the car would be rusting through by the time you had driven it home from the showroom. If the body lasted 60k miles the big ends certainly wouldn't. These modern cars and the oils you put in them are marvellous contraptions in comparison.

I reckon the useful life of a well looked after mondeo is around 200k miles, to get more you will need to be replacing expensive parts and cheaper to buy another one.

The fuels help a lot too. Who would be bothered with regularly de-coking their engines now?

Ford certainly got it right with rust protection on the early Mondeos. By contrast, the Cortinas could get rusty, but the Sierra was in a league of it's own. It seemed to share the Cortina's poor rustproofing, but the metal was thinner. Once you saw surface rust, it was through in no time. :cry:

It's not all good news with modern cars though. The bodies of older cars may be sound, but once the electrics start going haywire, they get too expensive to fix.

Correction!! Electrics to read Eletronics... :confused:

I had until recently a 54-plate Mondeo 1.8LX. I don't know what the previous owners did to it, but it was totally and utterly knackered. Clutch went at 55k (leaking slave), dampers were all replaced at 60k, had a good electrical fire at 65k under the bonnet that put an end to our relationship. add to that the constant issues with brakes seizing up, it cost me a fortune.

Replaced it with a 2007 Astra diesel, which has now got 74k on the clock and feels fresh as a daisy, hasn't broken in the year I've had it, and has heated leather seats, climate, auto everything. It cost me less than 5k after trading in the Mondeo.

All that said, the Mondeo was a good steer - very comfortable, very nice handling, and even considering the 1.8 petrol engine, was quick enough. I would consider a Mk4 Mondeo in the future, but I think I'd want to buy a ex-demo to make sure it wasn't half wrecked before purchase.

Sponsored Links
And depends how you drive the thing.

When I were a lad if it was raining the car would be rusting through by the time you had driven it home from the showroom. If the body lasted 60k miles the big ends certainly wouldn't. These modern cars and the oils you put in them are marvellous contraptions in comparison.

I reckon the useful life of a well looked after mondeo is around 200k miles, to get more you will need to be replacing expensive parts and cheaper to buy another one.

The fuels help a lot too. Who would be bothered with regularly de-coking their engines now?

Ford certainly got it right with rust protection on the early Mondeos. By contrast, the Cortinas could get rusty, but the Sierra was in a league of it's own. It seemed to share the Cortina's poor rustproofing, but the metal was thinner. Once you saw surface rust, it was through in no time. :cry:

It's not all good news with modern cars though. The bodies of older cars may be sound, but once the electrics start going haywire, they get too expensive to fix.

Correction!! Electrics to read Eletronics... :confused:

OK Mr Predantic!

By the way, you don't need a capital 'E' on the word electronics. It's not a proper noun.

We could go on like this all night! :LOL: :LOL:

Back