“Pebble dash” (but it isn’t) in need of repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I bought a 1907 “Tudorbethan” property 2 years ago to retire to. Its walls were described as “pebble dashed” (painted white) but it doesn’t look like what I understand by pebble dash. Anyway, some of it is now failing, and we are at a bit of a loss as to how to set about repairing. Couple of pix attached - can anyone advise? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_9224.jpeg
    IMG_9224.jpeg
    513.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9225.jpeg
    IMG_9225.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9226.jpeg
    IMG_9226.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
It might perhaps be Tyrolean or some attempt at a primitive effect.

Anyway, it looks like a lime mortar render. It may have been worsened by an impervious paint or coating.

I previously had a house of similar age, with a similar, but more pebbly, render. Lots of the pebbles had fallen out, and the lime was perished, cracked and scabby.

Best to have it hacked off and replaced with whatever suits your taste. Lime comes off fairly easily and you might find the house looks better without it. Sometimes render is applied to hide damaged or shoddy brickwork, so get it off before you decide what to do. There might also be water damage, e.g. from gutters, bays or downpipes, or a porch roof.

The windows suggest it was expensively built. Hopefully the general quality.

Painting exterior walls is a bad step, because if you do it once, you have to do it forever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back