1.5 on 16A BS 88 fuses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Doing a PIR on a small office that has the lighting circuits (all small runs) wired in 1.5 6242-Y protected by 16A BS 88 fuses.

This seems to fall just outside of the max for this cable so I'm looking at a code 4-any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on fittings many fluorescent fittings are internal fused and you could get away with a 16A supply it would only be disconnection times for BS88 which you would need to worry about.

However ceiling roses including the Click plug in type are only rated 6A I know the bulb holder is only ratted 2 or 3 amp but bulbs should be internally fused so you can forget that. This is why most lighting circuits are 6A.

If it has a ceiling rose (6A) and total load under 6A then I would give code 2
If as above and load over 6A then code 1
If no ceiling roses and there is a problem with wires buried in walls then code 4.
If the ze is more than 2.7 ohms but less than 2.82 then code 4 if over 2.82 then code 2.
If cable to ref 101# or 103# then code 1
This is what I would do but others may consider different.

it depends on the installation method..

20A clipped direct..

as it's an office I'd put money on it being some kind of fluorescent lights..
the grid kind usually have fuses in the connection block..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back