1 Box 2 circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always understood that there should never be more than one circuit in a box with 2 or more gang switches. IE all should be fed from one circuit.
Is this the case with current regulations?

Sponsored Links
It is good practise to leave a note where irt can be seen ( on the CU if not adjacent to the box concerned ) to make it clear that more than one isolator needs to be operated to remove all live supplies from the box.

I have seen paper notes about dual feeds folded behind switches, Not sure that is a good idea as it maybe a fire risk.

Sponsored Links
And think about kitchen grid switches with lighting, socket and oven switches all in one box.

Thanks everyone for the response.
I am having new CU's installed and one lighting circuit feeds half the house and many outside lights so I wanted to split it so the outside lights are on a separate circuit. The only way to split it without major rewiring results in the 2 gang switch in the entrance porch having a switch on each circuit. I have always avoided 2 circuits in 1 box before, making sure the hall stairs and landing were all on the same circuit but I now know I can do it in this instance.
Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the response.
I am having new CU's installed and one lighting circuit feeds half the house and many outside lights so I wanted to split it so the outside lights are on a separate circuit.
Those would be best on their own DP RCBO - did the electrician not suggest that?

I have always avoided 2 circuits in 1 box before, making sure the hall stairs and landing were all on the same circuit
Better if they are not, because then if you lose one circuit you can still get some light on the stairs.

I am having RCBO's put on every circuit although they are the normal single pole ones. Seems like sense to me while changing CU. Much less of a problem through nuisance tripping (due to bulbs blowing etc) and much easier fault finding in event of a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back