1 door 2 doorframes??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are progressing our plans for a small extension.
The plan is to have a small downstairts WC next to a Utility room.
Thiis will then be next to a dining room.

The plan is to have 1 door that shuts in 2 different places.
In one position it will seperate the Utility from the dining room, giving a Utility/WC.
In the other position it will shut off the WC giving the Utility and Dining room as 1 space.

Can you understand the idea??
I have uploaded a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71735021@N00/8288071636/

Should it be easy to build or do I need to caeful about anything??
I have tried looking on the net for similar things but I coul dnot think of the right technical term to search for!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd have to ask - how good are your joinery skills? Yes, it can be built, but you'll need to be extremely accurate in your joinery work

What happens when somebody's on the loo you want to keep the kid's in the dining room the dog in the back yard the washings finished and someones knocking at the back door that open's into the yard gets caught in the wind and knock's someone out?

I'd have to ask - how good are your joinery skills? Yes, it can be built, but you'll need to be extremely accurate in your joinery work
A good question, mine are ok, but not great. But I guess if I get a carpenter in for a day he can sort it??

What happens when somebody's on the loo you want to keep the kid's in the dining room the dog in the back yard the washings finished and someones knocking at the back door that open's into the yard gets caught in the wind and knock's someone out?
Fair comment but you have to comprimise somewhere and this was our comprimise.

While it is not ideal for some, for us a family of three I think it should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to do this? Imagine you are having it in a WC-utility position, someone is in the loo, and someone else enters the utility from either the kitchen or the garden. I would put 2 doors.

As stated, it could be done quite easily but you'd have to use a roller catch instead of a tubular latch as the door closes from both its front and back faces.

whilst 2 positions are a good use off a door you can only reduce flexibility quite a lot by doing so

2 doors much better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back