1 Gang 2 Way dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have read the faq and searched through old posts but either can't find or more likely have found but haven't understood how to solve a problem I have.

I have 2 regular switches controlling one light in my living room and wanted to change them to dimmer switches. Being a bit dumb I went out and just bought 2 dimmer switches just thinking I could replace the old switches with them and all would be fine.

However I've now found out that to have 2 dimmer switches for 1 light I would need a master and a slave dimmer switch, so I decided to just have 1 dimmer switch and 1 regular switch.

The wiring setup was the same in both of the old switches, there was a Red wire in COMM, a Red wire in L1, a Black wire (with no red sleeve) in L2 and an Earth wire.

So I've kept one switch like that but in the dimmer switch I've put the same Red wire in L1 and Black wire in L2 as before and the Red wire that was in COMM into one witha wavy line with another with an arrow on going through it as this is the only other available place as well as the Earth (which I also connected).

Now my problem is this, I can turn the light on with the dimmer switch (it's one where you press it in to switch it on) and I can adjust the light with the dimmer fine, but if I then switch the light off with the regular switch I have to switch it back on with that switch to get it to work.

It is also the same vice-versa, if I switch it off with the dimmer switch I have to switch it back on with the dimmer switch.

Sorry for making such a long post, any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like you have crossed your red wires over in one of the switches. You'll probably find that one red and one black are part of the same cable in each of the switches, and these should likely go to L1 and L2. The single red wire coming in on its own needs to go to your common terminal.

If all else fails, swap the red wires round on one switch, power up and test, and if it still doesn't work then put everything back how it was and repeat for the other switch.

Thank you, I tried what you suggested and it works fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back