1 gang 2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am installing a dimmer switch to replace an existing switch. Currently there is a live (black) and a switched live (black with red tape on it) and an earth wire that is going straight to the wall frame. All OK so far.

My new switch has L2, L1 and a line with an arrow through it as well as an earth screw. i assume that I can connect some earth wire from the screw on the plate to the existing wall frame. However, where should the existing red and red/black wires be going to on the new dimmer switch.

I would be grateful of any guidance you can provide.
Thanks - S

Sponsored Links
arrow and L1 (doesnt matter which way round, but ideally live to L1) seems odd both wires are black, also you are right about the earth

Thanks Breezer for prompt advice. After you mentioned that it was odd that both wires were black I had a look again. They were actually red and the other one was black with red tape.

Should I be wiring differently on the basis of my corrected info ?
Thanks!

so you have 3 wires?. if only two then no if 3 put 2nd in L2

Sponsored Links
Shove the red in squiggly arrow and the red-sleeved black into L1. Then take your earth from the back box and wire it directly to the earth terminal of the switch. If you have a piece of earth cable and some sleeving you can also connect from the switch's earth to the backbox earth, but the most important thing is that the metal switchplate is directly connectedf to the circuit earth.

can i "pinch" the pic of the new switch (i will acredit to you)

of course. Help yourself to the pic. it's the least I can do in return for the advice. I will be putting to switch in tomorrow and will posthow it goes along with the new wiring!

Hmm, the cables aren't in the terminals fully, they should be in and no copper showing.

And what sizes are those earth cables?

The red and black ones ? I will adjust anad put them in further.

Earth cable - guy at B&Q recommended 4mm. Sound too large ?

typical shed attitude, dont listen to shed advice come here, 1 mm would be fine

ShortyA said:
Earth cable - guy at B&Q recommended 4mm. Sound too large ?
4mm for earth strappers in a switch box? He's thinking about supplementary bonding in bathrooms. Much as I love the dear old wrinklies at B & Q you ain't gonna get quality advice for less than the minimum wage. :D

Good grief. A bit of a difference between the 4mm and 1mm. I did think it looked a bit thick. I know next time where to come for advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back