1 gang light switch with a dimmer AND a switch

To me that is a 3 gang plate
the switch is using 1 gang as stated
the dimmer is using 2 gangs

You can buy whatevever combo you want

Even If you buy mk, a 3 gang grid can only take a single width switch and a double width dimmer

Sponsored Links
To me that is a 3 gang plate
the switch is using 1 gang as stated ... the dimmer is using 2 gangs ...
You can buy whatevever combo you want
Well, yes, it is quite obviously a 3-module Minigrid plate (populated as you describe) - but no-one has suggested otherwise, have they?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, yes, it is quite obviously a 3-module Minigrid plate (populated as you describe) - but no-one has suggested otherwise, have they?
Not exactly, but had I realise that initially I may not have thought it was all 'one switch'.

The description then is even more stupid to describe a grid switch with two modules as 'one gang'.

Ah, of course that's true.

So it's a one gang, two gang switch.
bigeyed-confused.gif
or ...

Not exactly, but had I realise that initially I may not have thought it was all 'one switch'.
Oh. I didn't think that any of us thought that it was 'all one switch'. The dimmer and switch were clearly separate, the only question being debated was whether the dimmer module was perhaps 'switchless', such that one has to use the switch 'as well' (in series with dimmer).
The description then is even more stupid to describe a grid switch with two modules as 'one gang'.
I have to say that I thought that description related to the switch, not the whole assembly. I read it that the description given in page linked in the OP (my added punctuation and emphasis):
"1 Gang 2 Way Ingot Switch"
&
"400w Dimmer Switch"
However, I may have been misinterpreting - so, alternatively, as BAS has suggested "1-gang" may (perhaps more likely?) have been intended to indicate "single box" size.

Kind Regards, John

Johnykc,

I like your solution for the "switch next to dimmer switch" much better than my solution.

My solution (as others suggested) was to use Grid (also from TLC) loaded with a switch unit and a dimmer unit.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...mate_Grid_Index/Ulimate_Grid_White/index.html

Although I do not find the "Switch next to Dimmer" ugly, I do find the screws being at the top & bottom of the faceplate as being very ugly and of course the faceplate has a different look to all the others in my house (both small details I know, but they annoy me).

So with thanks for your suggestion - now I know how to do it better next time.

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back