1 Large or 2 small?

I am defined scope at present but do feel I have the `competance` required after being in the industry for 25 years.

Even if you "feel" you are competent, you aren't. At the time of the introduction of Part P, many time-served members of the Institute of Electrical Engineers discovered that they were no longer legally permitted to carry out electrical workin their own homes!

You need to call your scheme provider and ask what is needed to gain Full Scope accreditation. I believe that your scheme on-line notification process will not allow you to notify a CU change if you are only Defined Scope.

Sorry, that's the basis on which Defined Scope was introduced.

Sponsored Links
All 3 ovens are together in a line of tall housings along with a warming drawer. The ovens pull nearly 4kw each and warranty states dedicated circuit.
Dedicated does not mean separate.

For the sake of the additional circuits they may as have separate circuits, ovens cost 700+ each so whats the point faffy around if warranty is called upon.
Doing it properly is not faffying around.

ovens are going to be in 6mm for that very reason, apart from i have a 100m drum of the stuff that a customer gave me as i present :D
You could have all three on one 4mm² cable so three 6mm² cables is certainly a waste of your gift not to mention copper.

I think more research is required on your part.

Dedicated does not mean separate.
As I implied, I agree. However, if (as sounds to be the case) the MIs for each oven calls for a 20A MCB, then, even with diversity, one could not (quite!) run all three off one 20A MCB - one could, however, have two on one 20A MCB.
You could have all three on one 4mm² cable so three 6mm² cables is certainly a waste of your gift not to mention copper.
Indeed, although it now sounds as if the lengths of these three circuits, wired with whatever cable, may be negligible:
That would work but due to the CU being directly above the ovens I'll just have all 3 direct to there mcbs
How hot the CU will be is a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, if (as sounds to be the case) the MIs for each oven calls for a 20A MCB,
Has that been stated? ... Or are you taking this as the MIs? ...
3 20a single ovens as they required
As you say, it hasn't been stated explicitly, but I took the above, together with the apparent requirement for a 'dedicated' circuit, to probably mean that the MIs called for a 20A MCB (which would not be unreasonable, per se, for a 4kW appliance) - but I may, of course, be wrong in that assumption.

bopster: do the ovens' instructions say not only that they should be supplied by a 'dedicated' circuit but also that they should have a 20A MCB? If not, what if anything do the instructions say about fuse/MCB?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back