1 pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just found out (after installing boiler and unvented cylinder) that my house has a 1 pipe system upstairs and a normal system downstairs.

Is my only option to convert upstairs into a 2 pipe system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well I would not convert the downstairs to onepipe!
Best all round if you convert it all to 2 pipe system, did you power flush the system before installing the boiler?#
Did the person installing the unvented hwc not advise you of the system layout?

Pete

Fluffster said:
Well I would not convert the downstairs to onepipe!
Best all round if you convert it all to 2 pipe system, did you power flush the system before installing the boiler?#
Did the person installing the unvented hwc not advise you of the system layout?

Pete

Well all we did last week was hanf the boiler in the loft, and install the cylinder in the loft. We ran the flow and return from the boiler down into the airing cupboard and also the hot and cold from the cylinder (which is now pressurised). Have only today found out about the layout upstairs as we started taking the old valves and pump etc out from under the floor boards upstairs.

Had no reason to suspect it would be different from downstairs.

what would happen if I left it as it was? Would it be a case of the first radiator getting hot, then waiting an age for the rest on the upstaits circuit to get hot?

System would be v ineffecient and pump working overtime to compensate for flow.
How did you seal your hwc? how old was it? what bar are you running at cold and hot? what safety devices did you install?

Pete

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
System would be v ineffecient and pump working overtime to compensate for flow.
How did you seal your hwc? how old was it? what bar are you running at cold and hot? what safety devices did you install?

Pete

seal hwc?

Safety devices was 2 x pressure reliet on cylinder and 1 on heating

Pressure in the property is 2.5 bar

Sealed system is unvented you are required to be certified to install this system and notify your local bc by law.
I take it you have an expansion vessel in place correctly set.
Not all hwc can be sealed to an unvented system I have seen 2 explode with the pressure esp if it is an old one which has not been rated.
Not trying to scare you but unvented systems installed incorrectly are time bombs.
Pete

Fluffster said:
Sealed system is unvented you are required to be certified to install this system and notify your local bc by law.
I take it you have an expansion vessel in place correctly set.
Not all hwc can be sealed to an unvented system I have seen 2 explode with the pressure esp if it is an old one which has not been rated.
Not trying to scare you but unvented systems installed incorrectly are time bombs.
Pete

Im not registered but the other fella is I think. We have the expansion vessel fitted and connected yes.

The cylinder is an Ariston Primo 210 Litre Unvented Indirect Cylinder

Like I said, im prettu sure it has 2 pressure relief valves fitted, along with another on the heating side

Phew you have the correct type of cylinder, your initial description gave me visions of a 20 yr old copper hwc being linked up to a sealed system.
Back to your heating circuit def get it upgraded to a 2 pipe system as gas is v expensive these days and make sure you have trv,s on too.
P

Well I have seen the aftermath of two that had exploded and one imploded I doubt I would be here now never mind type if i was present when 2 exploded lol.
P

Fluffster said:
Phew you have the correct type of cylinder, your initial description gave me visions of a 20 yr old copper hwc being linked up to a sealed system.
Back to your heating circuit def get it upgraded to a 2 pipe system as gas is v expensive these days and make sure you have trv,s on too.
P

Yeah I have all new trv and lockshields along with all new rads. Just gutted that I now have to take all the floor boards up again and pipe it all up.

Also the old primaries from the old backboiler for the gravity hot water now appear to be used for the drop from upstairs to down stairs rad, will this be ok? Just worried about it going from gravity to pressurised as its all going to be plastered in the next few days. Do you think that pipework will be ok?

Tough question erring on the side of caution I would at least check what type of joints you have. They may well be in 28mm too.
Did you have any leaks when you flushed the system did you use a powerflush or just chemical.
P

Fluffster said:
Tough question erring on the side of caution I would at least check what type of joints you have. They may well be in 28mm too.
Did you have any leaks when you flushed the system did you use a powerflush or just chemical.
P

The drop in the chimney is 28mm, and most of upstairs is the same (must be the old pipe from the gravity hot water)

Havent powerflushed yet, doing that this weekend hopefully

Hope you have not filled the system with the new boiler before power flushing eek.
You will just need adaptors to 22mm however if you can swap em over to 22 do it now for your own peace of mind.
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back