1 pipe system

Fluffster said:
Hope you have not filled the system with the new boiler before power flushing eek.
You will just need adaptors to 22mm however if you can swap em over to 22 do it now for your own peace of mind.
P

No I havent thats why Im asking now before I fill it and hear joints exploding everywhere lol

Its a bit difficult to get access to the drops, so my just leave it and see what happens. Hopefully it will be ok

Sponsored Links
Yes I know what you mean the drops are not the problem it is the elbows at the end lol.
Good luck with it and hope you have no leaks.
Pete

Fluffster wrote

I have seen 2 explode with the pressure

Where abouts have you seen these explode Fluffster ?

In someones home perhaps ?

Balenza said:
Fluffster wrote

I have seen 2 explode with the pressure

Where abouts have you seen these explode Fluffster ?

In someones home perhaps ?

In the middle of a ploughed field :eek:

One of your DIY/Heath Robinson/botch ups, balenda :?:
The second one to see why you get it wrong :?:

:eek: :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the system worked satisfactorily before with a mixture of one pipe and two pipe then there's no reason why it shouldn't be the same now.

You need to bear two things in mind;
Firstly, you can't powerflush a one pipe system because the water just goes round the loop and misses all the rads. You will need to take each one pipe rad off individually and hose out (preferably outside) :LOL: .

Secondly, if you have fitted TRVs to the one pipe rads they must be ones designed for a high flow; these usually have to be specially ordered. We waited three weeks for Drayton TRV4 bodies just before Xmas because they make them in batches.

Most boiler manufacturers have no problem with you connecting to one pipe systems (W-Bosch, for one), but the efficiency of the system will be slightly reduced.

If the customer is prepared to pay for their system to be upgraded, this is of course the best option, but if they aren't, keep things as they are.

With respect to unvented systems exploding, this is very difficult to do because modern boilers have all manner of protection measure to stop them reaching high temperatures.

If you look at a mainstream condenser, it is fitted with a plastic exhaust flue and the makers have go to great measures to build in safeguards. New WB oilers have plastic flues too.

Therefore, whilst I don't suggest G3 etc is unnecessary, in real terms it is very very difficult to get an unvented cylinder to overheat when coupled to a modern boiler. Viessmann got their 333 hybrid unvented/combi through the tests using a shared condense and overflow by proving their boiler couldn't overheat.

Fluffster said:
Sealed system is unvented you are required to be certified to install this system and notify your local bc by law.
I take it you have an expansion vessel in place correctly set.
Not all hwc can be sealed to an unvented system I have seen 2 explode with the pressure esp if it is an old one which has not been rated.
Not trying to scare you but unvented systems installed incorrectly are time bombs.
Pete

Just to say.

Not a single unvented cylinder has been recorded by the HSE as exploding in the Country

Imploding can't happen if the system is installed correctly.

Have any exploded in other countries where the fitters don't have to be certified? I think you'll find that they have.

If the heating system was working acceptably before then it will be no worse with the new boiler.

There are a few things you can do to improve the situation.

Use a 15-60 rather than 15-50.

Ensure there is a gate valve in the cylinder indirect heating coil to balance it with the heating and start with this only open 1.5 turns. Set it for a 10-15°C temperature drop across the coil when stabilised and the water inside is coolish.

Close the downstairs rad lockshield valves to the minimum setting and aim for about 15-20° temp diff across flow and return for each.

That will give you a higher system flow head and improve the flow through the one pipe upstairs rads.

If you get into difficulties call Softus as he is nearby.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back