B

breezer

Before doing anything to do with electrics, please turn it off at the mains, and also make a drawing of which wire goes where, it will save a lot of hassle / aggravation.

If you are not sure /confident call an electrician

Sponsored Links
Also, when working on a specific circuit, remove the fuse or mcb to that circuit so that if the mains get's switched on by mistake then that circuit will still be isolated.

when working on a specific circuit, remove the fuse or mcb to that circuit so that if the mains get's switched on by mistake then that circuit will still be isolated.
You Can Not Remove Some Types Of MCB, So Disconnect The Circuit Wiring From The MCB...All Removed Fuses & MCBs Should Be Kept In Your Pocket, Or Toolbox Until You Have Completed The Job.

ban-all-sheds said:
If you think safety is time-wasting, try having an accident.
Agreed,always do the "Risk Assessment" before doing any job.I even made a door cover in front of my CU with a padlock and key to prevent anyone switching on the mains while I'm working on the electric.

Sponsored Links
There is one thing you Guys have not mentioned here.

If your main switch is an RCD and you are going to work on than circuit, disconnect the circuit Neutral from the Neutral Bar to prevent nuisance tripping when you inadvertently connect the Neutral to Earth..as everyone does at some point :)

Doing this simple task will save you time and frustration looking for a fault that nis not there.

It was offensive posts. An individual joined with a similar name as another regular user and proceeded to post unhelpful/dangerous posts (e.g. join all wires together and switch on).
Someone with too much time on there hands! :evil:

Can I add? before disconnecting anything - make a diagram of it and if possible, label each wire?
Cos' if it doesn't work after, then rewire it the same way until you get the advise you now obviously need!

I think these forums are great, however, i believe that our first piece of advice for anyone inquiring about electrics is to point them in the direction of somebody qualified. There are competent non-qualified people out there i know,however, they are far out numbered by people who are not. The BS7671 Regs are there for a reason and should be read and understood before undertaking a job :!:

There are undoubtedly times when people should be advised to get an electrician in, but that doesn't apply all of the time, and to suggest that it should be the first piece of advice given somewhat misses the point of a DIY advice forum...

And if that was what was done instead of giving people help then there wouldn't be this great forum that you mention..

Point taken sheds, i was a bit over the top, just a bit of a concern when you see some of the life threatening DIY work that has been undertaken. I suppose my real point is that there are correct isolation procedures and installation tests to follow. i`m not against people having a go, i just wish they would get it checked afterwards ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back