100 SHS 6.3 bolted to flank Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all -

I've got an old Victorian house with a flank wall that's mildly deflected. The surveyor tells me I need to tie the wall into the building. However, I'm putting a bathroom in between two bedrooms so I'm removing the dividing wall that I could have strapped the flank wall into. Instead of the wall, the surveyor has told me to put in a beam resting on a 100 SHS 6.3 post

"100 SHS 6.3 bolted to flank Wall" is what it says on the structural design my surveyor has given me. I've worked out that "100 SHS 6.3" is the spec for a hollow post:
100 x 100 x 6.3mm (SHS) Square Hollow Section (18.40 Kg/m)

How does this get bolted to the wall though?

The spec for the beam that's going in is 203x133UB30. How does this get fixed onto the post?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Kind regards,
Josh

Sponsored Links
I have lost count of the number of times I have heard of engineers specifying a beam or column without detailing how they are to be fixed, The SE has only given you half of the solution to the problem; it is his responsibility to detail the fixings of the SHS to the wall, and of the beam to the SHS.
For example, if it is an end gable wall, it will be subject to wind load, and there may be a moment induced in the post/beam connection, which needs detailing properly.
Get on the 'phone to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back