100mm Waste Pipe through stone wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Can anyone help me?

I'm fitting a new bathroom and need to fit a 100mm waste pipe from the toilet through the stone wall (660mm thick). I've checked building regs and it says there's two ways to fit the pipe through the wall.

1) Flexible joints need to be formed within 150mm of both wall faces and then a max of 600mm pipe connected after that.

2) 50mm space round the whole pipe as it's going through the wall and to fill the void with a compressible sealant.

I'd like to do number 2) as we have a large length of 100mm pipe but can do 1) if need be.

What's the flexible joints? Has anyone got a link to one? Is it this? http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-adaptor/19914

Also, what's the compressible sealant? I can find compressible tape but nothing that would fill a 50mm gap.

I've seen lots of cases of pipes just being cemented around through walls...which apparently doesn't follow the regulations. And others that go through a slightly larger pipe (sleeve) and expansion foam used around the void.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that virtually all pipes through walls that I see are cemented in. But a flexible sealant like foam would be better.

My advice is to do what most builders would which is to drill a 127 mm ( standard diamond core size used for 110 mm pipes. ) and seal it with foam on inside and foam on outside with 10 mm cement to weatherseal.

Others may say that Building Inspectors now expect something different.

Tony

Hi everyone. Can anyone help me?

I'm fitting a new bathroom and need to fit a 100mm waste pipe from the toilet through the stone wall (660mm thick). I've checked building regs and it says there's two ways to fit the pipe through the wall.

1) Flexible joints need to be formed within 150mm of both wall faces and then a max of 600mm pipe connected after that.

2) 50mm space round the whole pipe as it's going through the wall and to fill the void with a compressible sealant.

I'd like to do number 2) as we have a large length of 100mm pipe but can do 1) if need be.

What's the flexible joints? Has anyone got a link to one? Is it this? http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-adaptor/19914

Also, what's the compressible sealant? I can find compressible tape but nothing that would fill a 50mm gap.

I've seen lots of cases of pipes just being cemented around through walls...which apparently doesn't follow the regulations. And others that go through a slightly larger pipe (sleeve) and expansion foam used around the void.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you have been reading the Building regulations, but for underground drainage! Pipes through walls above ground are a different issue altogether

So are your pipes underground or above ground?

If underground, are you using 100mm clay or 110 PVC?

Flexible joints are standard ring seal connections on PVC and the usual plastic jointing collars on clay. The one you linked to can be used for connecting the two different materials. (A rigid joint would be either a solvent coupling on PVC or a cemented collar and spigot on a clay pipe).

A compressible material would be a polystyrene foam similar to that used in packing. You can buy it in slabs to cut to shape when you need to use it (underground).

Agile's comments relate to above ground drainage

Sponsored Links
YES Blagard YOU LEGEND!

Finally I understand! I completely missed the definition between the two earlier on in the document.

"Each of these has above-ground and underground elements.

Foul drainage carries the used water from toilets, sinks, basins, baths, showers, bidets, dishwashers and washing machines. The above-ground pipework is referred to as sanitary pipework; the underground pipework is referred to as foul drains and foul sewers."

The toilet is upstairs. I honestly thought I was going insane as I've never seen so much effort (a lintel and a sleeve etc) for putting a waste pipe through a wall.

Cheers Tony! Very helpful as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back