10mm earth to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was told by gas inspector I need gas meter earthing.
More investigating has proven house isnt earthed.
I believe need to run 10mm earth between cold pipe, hot pipe, gas pipe to consumer unit (cable not cut - stripped and clamped at each location)
How do you connect 10mm into CU - all earth terminals seem about 4mm in diameter.
Any help?

Sponsored Links
Gas and cold pipes only, connected where they enter the property.
You don't usually need to connect to the hot water pipe, unless this enters the property from outside (not likely).

If the terminal holes are 4mm across, 10mm wire will fit in there (10mm refers to the cross sectional area, not the diameter)

When you say the house isn't earthed do you mean you don't have an earth at all to the consumer unit, either from an earth electrode burried in the ground or from the electric suppliers head?
If not then you really need to employ the services of an electrician.

No house I have owned has had an earth from the meter/supplier. Just live/neutral tails.
I thought earthing was done through pipework.
I have owned house for 8 years with no problem. Must have been like this for decades before.
Guess have to get electrician. CU is at front of house - pipes at rear. Electrician probably insists on ripping whole house apart.

Sponsored Links
Yep, best advice is get an electrician in to have a look. An electrician can install an earth electrode and use that for earthing the system or he may get you to contact the electric board to see if it is possible to get an earth from them.
Earthing of the system and Protective Equipotential Bonding of the extraneous pipework are two different things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back