110mm hob extractor... Letting in rain water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi moved into a house that will (money depending) be getting a new roof and kitchen next year.

We are getting a bit of rain water in through the hob extractor (flex pipe cracked). Can't seem to find a rain cover on screw fix or Toolstation... Am I missing something. Worse case is it best just to cap it off (can live without extractor if needs be).

Many thanks,

Daz 20190728_185736.jpg 20190728_185351.jpg 20190728_185320.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks man, knew it would just be a case of finding out the correct name for what I was looking for. Toolstation have them.

Thank you very much for replying.

Think long term I'll run it out the wall.

20190729_195154.jpg

Non in stock, but managed to get a cover from an independent DIY store.

Thanks again, hopefully no leaks for tomorrow's forecast downpour!

Sponsored Links
Think long term I'll run it out the wall.
Out through the wall would be the preferred option if there is a suitable position (but why wasn't it taken through the wall in the first place in that case :?:

Out through the wall would be the preferred option if there is a suitable position (but why wasn't it taken through the wall in the first place in that case :?:

There is the bathroom behind the kitchen and the extractor just above the bathroom window in the picture so why they didn't 'T' into that with back draft valves is beyond me....

Unless you are suggesting this is a bad option....

That's a bad option - bathroom will be a bit of steam etc. Kitchen will be steam and fat. keep separate

Also I find that bathroom ones condense water from higher levels of steam, at the point where pipe goes though roof. And so bathroom pipes often need a condensation trap as pipe passes through loft.

There is the bathroom behind the kitchen and the extractor just above the bathroom window in the picture so why they didn't 'T' into that with back draft valves is beyond me....

Unless you are suggesting this is a bad option....
I wasn't suggesting anything about a bathroom extractor , I wasn't aware of one , but you were proposing going out through the wall and I said that would normally be the preferred option if possible etc . p.s. I can't see where an extractor exits above a window, window head looks too near the eaves anyway without a duct going through the lintel :!:
Others have advised against linking bathroom and kitchen extracts anyway ,as well as fitting a condensation trap to bathroom extract duct if going out vertically through the roof.
Is there a gable wall you could run an insulated horizontal duct/pipe to in the roof space ?

Thanks you all for the feedback, there is a very easy path to the gable end of the house, only a few metres, so an easy job and on the side of the house that isn't battered by the wind.... will be a nice easy job and can wait till the loft is boarded now.

Thanks again.

Plastic flexing no good for hob extract heat causes perforation and failure .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back