110v flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such stuff?

I want to get about 50m of flex to use for a garden appliance extension lead, and thought I'd use yellow arctic. I also want a reel to keep it on when not in use.

it looks like it'll be cheaper to buy something like this:

ae235

and dispense with the 60309 connectors than buy a length of cable and a reel.

But am I right in assuming that the cable itself will be regular Arctic stuff, not something genuinely only any good for 110V?

Sponsored Links
Yes, just standard arctic - but get a decent brand. Some of it is not very flexible to begin with, let alone when cold!

Is it for 240v use though? If so, I would be looking for blue for normal use, or orange if used in gardens etc.

Why would you not purchase a standard 230V extension reel @ 50M, rather than going through the hassle of re-engineering a 110V reel.
Don't get the logic behind this.

But in answer to your question arctic cable can be purchased in cut lengths, CEF are one supplier that I have used in the past, there is variety of sheath colours that can be obtained.
Although general used for 110V site application, if memory serves me, the voltage rating of the insulation is in excess of 230/240V.

Yes, just standard arctic - but get a decent brand. Some of it is not very flexible to begin with, let alone when cold!
Ta. Wouldn't be using it in the winter though.

Is it for 240v use though? If so, I would be looking for blue for normal use,
That's only a convention based on matching the colours of 60309 accessories.

or orange if used in gardens etc.
I figured yellow would be as visible as orange. Although you can get orange Arctic I've discovered, at a price which reflects its rarity.

Sponsored Links
Why would you not purchase a standard 230V extension reel @ 50M, rather than going through the hassle of re-engineering a 110V reel.
Don't get the logic behind this.
1) I want yellow Arctic because it's nice and flexible - I have an old length of orange flex, and that isn't particularly.

2) I'd still have to remove the end from the socket(s) on the reel and fit one half of this:

nc103b-500x500.jpg

But am I right in assuming that the cable itself will be regular Arctic stuff, not something genuinely only any good for 110V?
Even in terms of 'rating' (which probably really only reflects what tests are undertaken), I would imagine that it's just bog-standard Arctic.

However, in terms of what voltage the cable is "good for" (which, after all, is what actually matters), would it not actually be pretty difficult to manufacture a 1.5mm² or 2.5mm² cable which could not very easily cope with 230V (or, indeed, far higher), regardless of the 'rating'?

Kind Regards, John

My wholesaler stocks blue, yellow and orange at the same price. I know yellow/110 is only convention, but I prefer to stick with that personally. Nothing wrong with using yellow if you prefer.

The 25m extension reel I bought from Screwfix looks very similar to the 50m one Bas uploaded a pic of, the cable on mine is H05VV-F normal PVC.
The cable feels flexible at the moment but it is fairly warm.
3G1.5mm² - made in China

110 volt or rather 55-0-55 cable should have core colours brown, black, green/yellow I have as yet to find any. 4 core found with right colours but not 3 core.

However if you did get some British cable with correct colours for cores would not want to use it on 230v as no neutral coloured core.

So really 110 volt cable is 230 volt anyway or it would not have a blue core.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back