110v vs 240v on building sites.

They might spot that.

Disconnect the live, and then you'll get other people's electricity that they've already paid for on the neutral, won't you?

Sponsored Links
They might spot that.

Disconnect the live, and then you'll get other people's electricity that they've already paid for on the neutral, won't you?
Only on a TT system?

Realistically how far does Neutral float on a TT system.

Reminds me of charging batteries from your phone line.

I often wonder how much energy could be obtained from the voltage difference between network neutral in the form of the PME "earthed" CPC and true ground.

To get any sensible amount of power it would need a very low impedance ground rod and a versatile invertor to convert the normally near zero voltage on the neutral to a useful voltage. A bit of phase un-balance in the local network would obviously improve matters.

Sponsored Links
Another idea for obtaining free energy - I think!

I'm sure we've all seen pictures of fluorescent tubes planted in the ground underneath HV transmission lines. Dozens of them light up simply because of the electric field between the power lines and earth.

In theory, if you live in a house underneath power lines, would it be possible to have at least free lighting in this way and, with the right equipment, free power for other appliances?

Looking at this from the other side of the coin, do the generating companies lose any power in this way? I suppose it is practically impossible to remove the electric field under power lines.

:confused:

I'm sure I remember a case where someone was prosecuted for obtaining electricity by a similar method.

in theory, if you live in a house underneath power lines, would it be possible to have at least free lighting in this way and, with the right equipment, free power for other appliances?

Generally it would only be the 275 & 400kV lines that would give this effect and depends on other conditions as well.
Anything of a lower voltage would not have a large enough field

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back