12 V Fan Motor, Which Resistor Do I Need?

Thanks for all the responses. I've managed to find a variable resistor with a more suitable range, 0.1 to 10 ohms, rated for 100 watts so will give that a try. Couldn't belive how hard it is to find such a thing, had to get it from the states in the end.
Why are you doing all this rather than just installing a normal extractor fan, designed to do the job, not be very noisy, etc?
What do you recommend, extractors that I considered were about £100 and didn't look suitable for mounting on thin plywood?

Sponsored Links
Is it me?

I am trying to encourage air flow through the garage as it suffers from damp. Crappy pre fab Hanson garage which has always let rain in around the Base, then gets into the air and makes my tools all go rusty!
Cure? Fit a fan?

What do you recommend, extractors that I considered were about £100 and didn't look suitable for mounting on thin plywood?
£100? :eek: What was it about those that made you consider them, and what was it about the ones which are a fifth of that (or less) which made you discount them?

And if you can get fans designed to be mounted in a pane of glass, I don't know why plywood would be a problem...

Sponsored Links
Presumably you've already tried to stop the rain getting in? Spray foam, mastic, flashing... etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back