12v dimmable downlights to LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our spare bedrooms is a loft conversion with dimmable 12v halogen down-lighters; it's being re-purposed as a cinema room. There will be fabric on the ceiling to absorb stray light, but I still need lights for maintenance and cleaning.

Halogen lights are obviously no good as they get very hot, so I was thinking about a swap to LED. I was going to pull the existing lot out and put six individual LED units in place, because I assume that the current driver with a 300W draw wasn't designed to work with a 30 draw. Something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-fire-rated-fixed-led-downlight-ip65-brushed-chrome-8w/3471g

Do these things get warm enough to be a concern?

Sponsored Links
The heat issue with LEDs is that they damage themselves if they get too hot due to e.g. insulation, and suffer reduced lifetimes as a result. They're unlikely to get hot enough to damage anything else.

(If I were going to cover a ceiling with fabric, I'd chose something fire retardant.)

Ah thank you; the ceiling void is a pretty good size, so hopefully they'll be fine. I'm going to put some fire retardant on the fabric as an extra measure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back